Saturday, May 2, 2009







I made my first-ever backcountry ski trip on the last day of April, 2009 (Thursday). I skied with my friend Cathy Locatelli, who is the daughter of Mario Locatelli, known as the Montana Mountain Goat. Mario has recently published a book, The Mountain Goat Chronicles, that Cathy helped write, about his life, and his passion for climbing and skiing many of the tallest peaks in Montana and around the world. My wife Shelley and I served on the Lost Trail Ski Patrol with Cathy and her sister Angela, about 20 years ago. I had a difficult time keeping up with Cathy, a seasoned backcountry skiier who learned well from her dad about how to climb up and ski down a mountain. We skied the chute above the Grubstake Restaurant on the face of the Bitterroots just west of Hamilton, MT. Looking down at Hamilton and the Bitterroot River, we were skiing about 6 inches of light fluffy powder. Simply amazing!

No comments: